Posts

Showing posts from September, 2016

Gene name error scanner webservice

Image
Over the past few weeks, we've had a lot of feedback about our paper describing the sorry state of Excel auto-correct errors in supplemental files in spreadsheets.

In our group, we've discussed a number of ways that these errors could be minimised in future. One suggestion was to publish a webservice which permits reviewers and editors to upload and scan spreadsheets for the presence of gene name errors. So that's what I did. I took some basic file upload code in php and customised it so that it runs the shell script described in the paper. You can access the webservice here. We've been testing it for a few days and seems to work fine, except for the auto-generated email which I presume is being blocked by our IT group.

Upload spreadsheets and have them scanned for gene name errors.
The code for the webservice is up at GitHub, so you can modify it and host another instance if you want. The code should run on Ubuntu machines that can run Apache2, php and other dependenci…